Cataract Surgery Lens Choices
Intraocular lenses (IOLs) are used to replace clouded lenses during cataract surgery. These lenses are implanted inside the eye when the original lens is removed. This is called refractive lens exchange. There are three types of lens exchanges available:
- Standard monofocal IOL
- Multifocal IOL
- Astigmatism-correcting IOL
At Community Eye Center, the cataract surgeons consult with patients about their vision goals and different lens options. With this individualized treatment, eligible patients may choose a replacement lens that can correct multiple eye conditions.
What can vision be like after cataract surgery?
In the past, cataract surgery used to be about preventing blindness; however, with the sophisticated advances in cataract removal, premium lens choices and ORA laser-guided cataract surgery, surgeons can return a patient’s vision to the way it was years ago.
Patients seeking clearer distance and night vision without glasses or the ability to see clearly across distances after cataract surgery may consider a customized surgical option with a premium multifocal implant.
Standard Intraocular Lens Implants:
The Standard/Basic packages include standard, preoperative measurements, and placement of a single focal lens implant. Every effort is made to provide for accurate lens measurements and a new eyeglass prescription is provided post-operatively. This package is the most cost-effective.
- After surgery, patients may need glasses 100% of the time for reading and driving (distance and near).
- The standard treatment and lens are typically covered by insurance companies including Medicare.
- Patients who choose the standard monofocal lens often do so with the goal of removing the cataract with no additional fees.
- The standard monofocal lens has only one focusing point and will correct vision that was impeded by the natural cloudy lens.
- This lens does not correct astigmatism.
- With the use of this lens, it is common to still depend on glasses after the surgery. Glasses would be required for distance, intermediate and near focus and to correct astigmatism. Patients may also need bifocal, trifocal or reading glasses.
- If a patient chooses this option and later desires to be less dependent on glasses, an enhancement may be purchased at a later date.
Custom Cataract Surgery with Astigmatism Treatment:
- After surgery, the goal is to achieve better distance or near vision but patients may need glasses 100% of the time for reading (near).
- Patients who choose the enhanced vision treatment do so with the goal of removing the cataract and replacing the lens with an aspheric monofocal lens with astigmatic management, for an additional fee.
- This custom category is recommended for all post-Lasik and PRK patients.
- The Enhanced package includes all necessary additional testing for astigmatism management for clearer distance vision.
- With this option, there are several ways to manage astigmatism including a toric lens implant, corneal relaxing incisions and/or WaveTec laser vision customization.
- This is your best choice if you do not mind wearing glasses for reading but want better, clearer distance vision while driving.
Custom Cataract Surgery with Presbyopia-Correcting Lenses and Astigmatism Management:
- The goal is to reduce dependency on glasses for distance and near vision.
- Most patients should expect not to wear glasses the majority of the time for distance and near vision. It may still be necessary to wear glasses to maximize nighttime driving due to low light and for fine print at near or intermediate and may still require appropriate lighting.
- Premium Enhanced Cataract Surgery expands the enhanced approach with the use of a multifocal premium lens implant (ReSTOR or Crystalens). The lens chosen is based on the visual goals of the patient.
- After surgery, the goal is to reduce dependency on glasses for distance and near vision.
- An additional fee includes removing the cataract and replacing the lens with custom presbyopic correcting lens technology as well as astigmatism correction and/or the use of WaveTec laser vision customization if needed.
- The Premium package includes the custom presbyopic correcting lens technology with all necessary additional testing for astigmatism management for clearer distance and near vision.
- This is your best choice if you want to achieve better, clearer distance vision while driving and the ability to read with minimal dependency on glasses.